Preface

After 6 years in Auckland, Professor Usagi is back to blog again! Compared with Tokyo, Auckland is probably the complete opposite. No more:

(1) hundreds of events to choose from including concerts, gigs, shows, operas, exhibitions, talks, classes, workshops, etc etc,
(2) thousands of restaurants shouting ilashaimase and welcoming you till or after midnight,
(3) millions of shops waiting for you and your money from 10am to 10pm every day,
(4) public transportation not only taking you everywhere but also offering many options to one destination,
(5) convenience stores at every corner when you suddenly need an onigiri (rice ball) at 2am,
(6) clinics on every street that you can just walk in without an appointment,
(7) temples and shrines dotted around all over the city for you to ask your God for something you think only (s)he can provide,
(8) vending machines everywhere selling everything imaginable from beer to used knickers,
(9) police boxes next to every train station. The police in Tokyo have 2 main tasks, looking after people who are lost and looking after wallets or umbrellas that are lost.

Oh yes, I miss Tokyo dearly. However, gradually I can appreciate my new life now. It's actually quite liberating away from civilisation:

(1) no more headache choosing which events to go. There is usually none anyway especially on weekdays.
(2) picking a restaurant for a late dinner is extremely easy. Go to the one that is still open - McDonald's!
(3) shopping is super efficient because even if we find what we want, there are usually only one or two brands for it,
(4) public transportation? No no no, we like cars. In fact, we love cars so much that there are many many cars on the road but hey, we have all the immigrants to blame for the rush hour traffic anyway!
(5) dairies are great when you need a walk especially when we get there and find out they are closed for the day.
(6) reduced medical bills because we may find our body miraculously cures itself while waiting to see the doctor,
(7) churches for all racial groups in all different languages,
(8) we do not believe in vending machines here,
(9) we develop important surviving skills (i.e., hiding an ax under our bed) because the police might not come in case of emergencies. They are very busy hunting for the criminals who are speeding or drinking and driving.

With my new life style, I have saved a lot of money on concerts, restaurants and hospitals. I have also saved a lot of time on shopping. I think I have definitely become a better person too because I cook more and shop less... I stay home almost every night reading or streaming movies. Auckland is the most stunning city I have lived in. However, the gorgeous green hills and beautiful blue sea can only provide inspirations while I crave for intellectual stimulations.

Fine, I shall blog again. At least, I can entertain myself by writing!








Comments

Popular Posts